Monday, March 8, 2010

Things He Fears Con't

This is a musical doll given by someone few years ago which can make him cry instantly. I tried taking it out recently to 'test' his reaction again. Once he saw it, the corners of his lips immediately drooped down, then tears welled up in his eyes and he started sobbing.



"This is no good !" That is what he always says when he is not happy. He could not explain further why he dislikes this object.



At a very age , he cries when he hears a song which is too "sentimental'. I can still remember he cried when he heard the song " Teddy Bear" . It was a song the playgroup liked to sing and I had to explain to the teacher why he cried when the song was sung. At night, when I sang him a song even like " Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' in a very "loving" and "sentimental" way, he would cry too. Those " ...... I Love You....." kind of song like "Barney Song" have to be sung in a "normal" tone to avoid tears. I guess he must be very "musically inclined" too !


I have asked the teachers in his special class why this is so. They simply say that there are just some unexplainable things that autistic people seem to fear . It is ok and we should not force them to accept because it will upset them more. Anyway , whether they accept or not, if it does not affect others or their own social life , just let it be. I guess it makes sense. So I decide to stop the 'testings'.

No comments:

Post a Comment