Monday, March 8, 2010

Things He Fears



From young, my son seems to fear certain images , which we thought could be somewhat fearful to kids but some we could really find no reason why they should look so scary. I remember he used to love watching advertisements , like most kids. I guess it's because they are fast- moving and colourful. However there were certain advertisements that he found so fearful that he would dart forward and switch off the tv immediately , leaving us all puzzled , facing the blank screen of the tv. Only when the advertisement had ended , would he allow us to continue the program.




Today, he is accepting most advertisements, but when watching the tv, he will still come across certain images that he finds threatening? intimidating? fearful? Sometimes he will switch channels , sometimes he will hold up his arm ,pretend looking at his watch, but actually trying to block his own view! I try asking him why he finds them fearful, but he still cannot explain and express his feelings .




Other things that he fears , that I could think of now, are clowns, pretend Santa Claus in the shopping mall during Christmas, in fact any live pretend characters, even if it is his favourite cartoon character. So we never take him to live shows of cartoon characters in shopping centres, like we used to with our girl.


This is the shirt that upsets him and got him to be half-naked almost the whole day. The other day , when we past by IMM, he suddenly trembled and told me " I have to run past". It was then I realised there was a ride right in front of the lane leading to the carpark. And it was the character of 'Ultraman'. Does Ultraman really look so scary? i guess the eyes could have made him look threatening to my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment